Very important, guys! We all know how tempting it can be to give our pets human food on Thanksgiving, especially when they’re pitifully watching us eat the best meal of the year, but be careful! Human foods can make your pets very sick. Some pets are more sensitive than others, but why risk it? Here are some Thanksgiving foods you should avoid giving to your pets.
1. Turkey Skin and Dark Meat- Fatty foods like turkey skin and dark meat can cause your dog to get indigestion, vomiting, and diarrhea. In extreme cases even pancreatitis!
2. Turkey Bones – Don’t hand your bones over to the dog. Small bones are a dangerous choking hazard. Poultry bones can break and splinter causing damage to the throat, stomach, and intestinal tract.
3. Nuts – Nuts are potentially hazardous to dogs because they cause stomach upset and neurological problems. You’re probably thinking “But they love peanut butter!”. Peanuts aren’t nuts, silly, they’re legumes! Avoid black walnuts and macadamia nuts, they are toxic to dogs!
4. Onions – These are not only dangerous, but deadly. All close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) are toxic to dogs and cats. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Even small quantities can make your pets ill.
5. Grapes and Raisins – Both of these can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and acute renal failure in dogs.
6. Sage – Along with other herbs, Sage contains essential oils and resins that can cause gastrointestinal upset and central nervous system depression to dogs and especially cats.
7. Chocolate – Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are riskiest, but all chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats and can cause theobromine poisoning.
8. Nutmeg – In certain quanities, nutmeg can potentially cause tremors, seizures and nervous system abnormalities in both cats and dogs.
9. Mushrooms – Wild mushrooms contain toxins that can cause damage to organ systems, including the kidneys, liver and brain. Nervous system abnormalities, seizures, coma, vomiting, and death can all result when a dog consumes wild mushrooms.
10. Beer and Alcohol – Alcohol is rapidly absorbed into dogs’ bloodstreams causing intoxication and a slew of health problems including drops in blood pressure, blood sugar, and heart rate. Dogs can even experience seizures and respiratory failure. Besides, it’s just mean. Don’t try to get your pets drunk.
It never fails for me, I spend Thanksgiving running around telling people not to feed the pets. Every year I end up cleaning up vomit and diarrhea because no one listens to me. The worst was when we were visiting family in Florida and I had to cure my very ill dog’s diarrhea before getting on a plane. Luckily I’ve learned to travel with the necessary medications.
If you find yourself caring for a pet with an upset tummy, some over the counter medications like Pepto and Immodium can help. Always consult with your vet about proper dosage and symptoms please!