Spring has sprung, ladies! The weather is warming up quick here in Palm Springs so I’m
reaching for the most comfy and light weight springy dresses. Luckily Old Navy has a lot of cute floral dresses out right now. Here’s a couple that I’ll be pairing and wearing all season long.
Last month we went on a three week long road trip from LA to Florida and back and since I got some questions about my clothes on Instagram I thought it would be fun to share a few of the outfits I wore on the trip!
I love vintage clothing from the 40s-60s and am usually dressed in some sort of vintage inspired look 99% of the time, and our road trip was no exception! Most people think sitting in a car for 6+ hours in a dress and petticoat would be uncomfortable, but the outfits I’m about to show you are from some of my favorite vintage inspired brands which have all the charm of vintage, but are made with modern fabrics and materials that make them a little more comfortable.
This blue dress that I wore in Arizona is from Pinup Girl Clothing and is easily one of my favorite dresses ever. It’s a cotton sateen with a slight stretch so it’s perfect for running around in hot desert weather. Find it here.This tiki print dress from Pinup Girl Clothing is another favorite for warm weather. I love this dress because it has a stitched bust design which eliminates the need for a bra and a built-in in underskirt which adds volume without the need of a heavy petticoat. Find it here. Annnnd another from Pinup Girl Clothing. I wore this look on Valentine’s Day! Funnily enough I ended up matching our hotel room. This outfit is two pieces – a gathered skirt and a super comfy stretchy top. Find the skirt here and the top here!
I didn’t get a chance to visit the real Graceland on this trip, but I did find the replica in Orlando! I wore this beautiful white Alika dress from Tatyana for the occassion! This dress has a beautiful texture and a subtle shimmer, but is so light weight and super comfortable and fun to wear. It also comes in a variety of other colors. Find it here.
I love fun novelty skirts and this one from Unique Vintage has the most adorable beauty parlor print. I paired it with a peasant top from Pinup Girl Clothing and a little cardigan. Find the top here and the skirt here. Here’s a head to toe Unique Vintage ensemble. This cropped, three quarter sleeve, cherry print cardigan has such an adorable vintage feeling I try to wear it as much as possible. I love the length of the skirt and the high waist makes it very figure flattering. It’s also light weight and has POCKETS. Definitely one of my favorite every day looks. Find the skirt here and the cardigan here. This floral sleeveless shirt dress and cardigan are both from Voodoo Vixen. The dress is made from stretch cotton that was perfect for frolicking around Savannah. I actually wore it a couple more times during the trip as well, that’s just how great it feels to wear! I paired it with an embroidered floral cardigan when I got a little chilly. You can find the dress here and the cardigan here!
There you go! A few of my favorite pieces from my favorite brands. Follow along on Instagram for more outfits!
I’m sure you can tell by now that my personal wardrobe is very influenced by mid-century styles, particularly the 50s and 60s. Even when I shop at modern stores I find ways to create looks that fit in with my aesthetic. Old Navy is the perfect place to shop for staples that can be used in all types of looks. Since spring is right around the corner, I picked up a few mix and match pieces to create a pastel take on nautical wear.
It’s SO comfortable, you guys. Textured linen always feels very “yacht club” to me and the detail in the fabric reminds me of rope, which also feels very nautical. I paired the top with brightly colored denim in the shades Strawberry Dust and Tattle Teal. The colors and ankle length tapered cut mimic 60s style pants pretty well, but have all the comfort of modern stretch denim. I very rarely wear pants, if ever, but these are definitely something I’ll wear all the time, whether it’s around the house working on projects or out on the beach.
You guys, Lilly Pulitzer for Target is hitting stores on Sunday, April 19th. This is the first time I’ve been really excited for a Target designer collab. A lot of people have been buzzing about this collection with mixed emotions. Some are raging mad that strangers will think their Lillys are from Target, and this is somehow going to, like, ruin their lives. Others are excited because it’s all just more cute stuff for us to buy, and more importantly, because life really isn’t that serious.
If you don’t know who Lilly Pulitzer is, here’s a little background. Lilly was a fashion designer from Palm Beach who got her start making dresses that would camouflage the juice stains that she would get on her clothes while working at her juice stand. Costumers loved her creations so much that she started selling them, and by 1959 she was the president of her own company. Lilly Pulitzer’s signature style is colorful, preppy, resort wear. Because of a dress she made for Jackie Kennedy, the shift dress became one of her most popular and timeless designs. Aside from fashion designing, she apparently threw some pretty legendary parties.
The Target collection is set to have 250 pieces including housewares, accessories, and 15 designs created specifically for Target.
Here are my top 20 (yes, 20) picks from the collection.
Let’s start with home decor.
1. REVERSIBLE DECORATIVE PILLOW – NOSIE POSEY AND BOARDWALK CAFÉ – $25.00
2. COCKTAIL GLASSES WITH GOLD RIM – SET OF 4 – $30.00
3. GLASS CARAFE – $15.00
4. FLOOR CUSHION – NOSIE POSEY – $40.00
This is going to make a perfect dog bed in my living room. 5. PORCELAIN PINEAPPLE JUICER – $15.00
6. GARDEN STOOL WHITE – $80.00
7. TEAK BEACH CHAIR – BOOM BOOM – $60.00
8. PORCELAIN PINEAPPLE SERVING BOWL – $30.00
It says serving bowl, but get serious it’s a chip n’ dip and I want it.
These are two things that I totally don’t need or have a place for, but totally want. 9. PATIO UMBRELLA – BOOM BOOM – $100.00
10. HAMMOCK – NOSIE POSEY – $150.00
The home decor is so good I almost forgot there’s clothes in the collection.
The holidays are crazy with shopping, parties, cooking, and all that good stuff. Every year I find myself with a handful of must-have items that help make life easier. Here are some of my current favorites. They make great stocking stuffers too!
1. Batiste Dry Shampoo: Who has time to wash and blow-out their hair everyday when there is shopping to do and parties to go to? Batiste keeps your hair looking and feeling fresh and voluminous between washes. I’ve tried a few other dry shampoos that left me looking like I was covered in wig powder. I was not a fan! This is, by far, the best dry shampoo I’ve tried and the only one I can stand. I’ve used it on 3rd and 4th day hair with success. Shake it up, spray it on, brush it through – you’re out the door. It comes in a variety of yummy scents and even comes in colors to disguise those stray grays! Definitely a must have time saver.
2. Skinny Girl Everyday Cami: I love these things. Sometimes we need a little extra mid-section support but don’t feel like squeezing into a full body shaper. Am I right ladies? It’s called a cami but it’s really more like a tank, so there’s extra back and chest support too. Most of the time I don’t even wear a bra with it. It’s my favorite thing to wear under my winter sweaters. You know how you’re wearing a cute sweater and then you eat too much holiday goodies and you feel like your clothes are clinging to you? This is your remedy. It keeps everything feeling tight and right.
3. NYX Butter Gloss: Winter chapped lips are the worrrrst. This medium coverage gloss keeps lips hydrated without making them too glossy. It feels creamy rather than sticky so it’s comfortable to wear all day. Paired with a matching lipliner, it gives really nice volume. It’s subtle enough to wear without any other makeup. My favorite shades are Tiramisu and Cherry Cheesecake.
4. Herban Essentials Wipes: It’s cold and flu season so everyone is grabbing for the hand sanitizer when there’s not a sink around. I’m grabbing for Herban Essentials Wipes. These antibacterial wipes are made with essential oils and smell AMAZING. I’m always worried about drying my hands out or the residues left by other wipes and sanitizers, but these don’t leave that gross sticky soapy residue like other hand wipes do. They’re versatile too. You can use them to clean your phone, remove makeup, repel bugs, and much much more. I keep a pack in my car and carry a couple around with me. They come in 8 different varieties so there’s something for everyone.
5. Foot Alignment Socks: Ughhhh achy feet. Work, shop, bake, party. I think we’re on our feet a lot more during the holidays, and usually in our most uncomfortable (stylish) shoes. Nothing feels better than kicking those shoes off and putting our feet up. Want to know what makes it even better? These foot alignment socks. They’re designed to re-align your feet after wearing confining shoes all day, helping to prevent and remedy crooked toes and bunions. They come in 8 great colors and are a perfect gift for anyone you know that complains about foot pain.
6. Water Bobble: I am so bad at drinking enough water and I’m not one of those people that can drink straight from the sink. Yuck. Bottled water get expensive and who wants to put all that plastic into the environment? After suffering the effects of dehydration far too many times, I found a solution that helps me stay hydrated anywhere, any time. It’s the Bobble! It has a built in carbon filter so you can refill at any sink and instantly get tasty, filtered water. The cap keeps the top clean and loop can be attached to a belt or used as an easy-carry handle. It’s also BPA free, and free of Phthalates and PVC.
Definitely check out these must-haves to help you through your holi-daze!
Ok, so I don’t know if I’m actually going to have the opportunity to dress up for Halloween this year, but I was piecing together some ideas just in case. I’ll probably wait until last minute and in a panic end up as a gypsy like I have for the last 25 years. Let’s pretend that won’t happen. Here are my top picks so far:
I loveeee Eloise and this set would be cheap and easy for me to put together. I would just need a blonde wig. Maybe my husband will dress up as a Plaza bellhop!
You know who else I love? Gemma (Katy Sagal) from Sons of Anarchy. I am SERIOUSLY considering this one because my husband can go as a crew member and it’ll be rad. Ahhh I need to find a fake chest scar and titty tat.
Let’s start with the red carpet, shall we? Ok, sad life. I didn’t get to watch the Emmys red carpet! Heartbreak. I was able to catch most of the ceremony and post coverage though.
Drama: BREAKING BAD! I watch everything, but this was the most deserved award of the night.
Lead Actor in a Drama: Jeff Daniels. WHAT?!?! Listen, I like Newsroom as much as the next, but he was the last one I expected to win in the category.
Lead Actress in a Drama: Claire Danes. Her ugly cry on Homeland needs an Emmy of it’s own. Brava.
Supporting Actress in a Drama: Anna Gunn for Breaking Bad. She deserved it. But, all of the women in the category deserved it.
Supporting Actor in a Drama: Not Aaron Paul. NOT AARON PAUL? Fuck everything.
Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: David Fincher for House of Cards. Thumbs up.
Comedy: Modern Family. I can get behind that.
Lead Actress in a Comedy: Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I haven’t watched Veep yet, but everyone says it’s amazing so she probably deserved it.
Lead Actor in a Comedy: Jim Parsons. How Big Bang Theory wins anything is beyond me.
Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Merritt Wever. I don’t watch this show but her amazing acceptance speech made me want to.
Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Tony Hale. I didn’t expect that. Again, I haven’t seen Veep yet but compared to the other nominees, I didn’t expect him to win.
Miniseries or Movie: Behind the Candelabra. BOOM. So much win.
Like I said, I missed the red carpet. A lot of looks seemed typical and safe but these are some that stood out to me from what I did manage to see:
I do appreciate the ones that took risks but I can’t say I loved them. Come onnnn…
What’s going on with these??
Thoughts on the overall ceremony: I love NPH. He’s an amazing host. The ceremony as a whole was weird, sad, and random but that’s better than boring, right? I watch almost every show nominated so I felt like I needed to be there to cheer all of my my TV friends on!